Welcome to the Ultimate Deployment Appliance Forum

This forum discusses topics about the Ultimate Deployment Appliance

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

Can sub-templates be updated dynamically?

Postby lboggs » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:45 pm

In my environment, I would like to associate specific mac addresses with specific downloaded OS and the kickstart file.

It looks like from the online documentation that is can be done by adding the mac addresses in the sub-template files.

However, I may update this mapping dynamically -- that is, from time to time change the mapping.

Will this work? Can someone point me to document describing how to do it safely?
Regards,
Lowell

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago. "
lboggs

Re: Welcome to the Ultimate Deployment Appliance Forum

Postby rcpao » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:09 pm

chown: changing ownership of `/var/public/smbmount/NameOfSMBMount': Permission denied

This is the message I get in Storage > Create New Mount > Windows Network Share type.

It does mount (using FQDN instead of short name), but it seems to have given it group 502 which does not exist.

drwxrws---+ 3 nobody 502 0 Aug 31 2011 NameOfSMBMount

Storage list does NOT display the new mount.
rcpao

Postby kloux » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Please allow posting to forum? Thank you.

9/19/2011
--
Version UDA17
2.0_build17
---
Hi, we needed to move our UDA Virtual machine to another subnet, but couldn't get the IP address of the UDA to change via the system configuration menu. I logged in as root and set up the /etc/sysconfig/network & /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 files manually as I would with a standard CentOS build. The system comes up on the correct network, however after rebooting our templates cannot be edited and all text in the templates has disappeared.

I've taken screenshots of the behavior and posted them to: http://zd0p.com/UDA
missing0 - shows each template that I selected & edited as blanked out. the templates which I haven't touched still show up.
missing1 - shows what happens when I select a blanked out template. No text shows up.
missing3 - Shows what happens when I click [Configure] on one of the missing templates. I can see the basics of the template, but the description etc has been blanked.
missing4 - shows that there is no data in the kickstart configuration and I can't edit it at all.

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
kloux

Postby peterkuykendall » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:31 am

It turned out the problem was the long flavor name.

Thanks again for building such an awesome tool! I work with a charity that takes in donated PCs, fixes them if needed, wipes the drives, then provisions them with XP. One day we may even provision with Linux, but that's an internal policy problem. So far we have given away over 3,000 PCs.

Our situation is that each PC is a Frankenstein collection of parts, so cloning is problematic. An automated installer is probably our best bet. It's OK if it takes a while, as long as we can push the button and let it grind without human intervention.

I have already set them up with a caching web server that has cut their provisioning time in half, due to tremendous speedup of Windows Updates (SP3 plus a million other updates) etc. This UDA will probably raise the provision tech throughput 5x. That will create a fresh new high-class problem for them, i.e. how to solve the bottlenecks both upstream and downstream of the provisioning crew.

Thanks again.
peterkuykendall

Postby divakar » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:00 am

Do you have to worry about the install wiping out any shared storage like the guide warns about? If so, do you have any method for making sure that doesn’t happen other than removing any mappings in the fibre switch?
divakar

Postby bkx » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:07 pm

Hello all,

First of all let me congrat your awesome work in this App !!
Every IT should have this setted up at home and work :D

Second i'm having a problem trying to mount an .iso:

At first it had some spaces and symbols in the path, so i cleaned it all...
So, i mounted a Windows Share (//192.168.30.10/UDA_Mount) and its now Mounted and Working.

Then i tried to add an .iso, but there was an error when Mounting!
/var/public/smbmount/SO//Linux/Ubuntu/ubuntu.iso: Permission denied
The share is located on a Win Server 2003 machine and i gave ALL permissions to the user.

Is there something i'm missing now ?

Best regards!
bkx

Postby peterkuykendall » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Sorry about the spam and delays in getting your posts up. In order to offload The Dude, freeing his time up for coding, he has designated me as a moderator. Hopefully we can keep the board cleaned up from spam and get everybody's posts up quickly. Please flag any inappropriate messages and I'll get to them as ASAP.

Thanks - Pete
peterkuykendall

Postby johnsmith » Tue May 22, 2012 10:37 am

A warm and big hi to everyone :)
johnsmith

Postby thesavo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 am

I too am having an issue where my ISO storage doesn't show up in the menu.

I added the share to the Storage Tab of the Configuation page. It seems to have saved the configuration, because it created a new mount paint @
Code: Select all
/var/public/smbmount/cd-images
I can browse the directory and see all of my images.

The problem is that it doesn't give me access to this new share. Only cdrom0, cdrom1, cdrom2 and local are listed.

Why is that? It does correctly mount the share, and upon reboot, i can manually mount it.
thesavo

Serva 2.0; net install MS OSs w/o RIS/WDS/WAIK suites

Postby patpat » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:46 am

hi, for some reason I cannot post o a new thread ;-(

I think UDA users might find Serva interesting

Serva 2.0 is a tiny MS Windows app (~1 Meg) that can automatically create a menu driven Windows install server in 10 minutes without Microsoft's RIS/WDS/WAIK suites. read here:
http://www.vercot.com/~serva/howto/WindowsPXE1.html

Best
patpat

Previous

Return to Ultimate Deployment Appliance