New user: how to get started ?

This forum discusses topics about the Ultimate Deployment Appliance

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

New user: how to get started ?

Postby tos » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering:
after downloading the zip archive, what is one supposed to do with the vmdk files ?
I can't find it explained anywhere on this forum or on the web site.

Thanks,
Tos
tos

Re: New user: how to get started ?

Postby hjolli » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:55 pm

Had that sam problem today ;)
Get vmware server if you do not have it. install it.
open the vitual machine in vmware server put it on a host only network, and turn off the dhcp server for that network.
start the vm.
login with root and pw test
fdisk /dev/sdb and create a partition then mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /var/public/smbmount/DISK2 (put this in fstab soit mounts on boot.)
put anoter vitual machine (someting with a gui and browser) on the on the host only network and start it.
You need something with a browser to manage the vm deplyment tools.
go to http://10.0.0.104 (the default ip of the vm) login to the webui with usr:admin pw:admin.
what I did to test it I copyed a centos-5.1 dvd to /var/public/smbmount/DISK2
mounted it to /var/public/www/fedora/fc6 (mount -o loop /pathtoiso/centos.iso /var/public/www/fedora/fc6
becuse i used the fc6 template to create a centos install.
Create a template fill out the id and the discription edit the kick start file put sda insted of hda if you are useing scsi disk in the vm you want to install on , put the type of keyboard layout you want etc. save the template.
Create a new virtual machine put it on the host only network start it press F12 to network boot.
Then you get a menu with you template choose it and see if it works. It did for me.

Hjolli
hjolli

Postby the_dude » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:46 am

hjolli, it should be unnecessary to go to the login prompt of the UDA, you can format/mount the DISK2 through the web-interface (System->Diskspace). When you go to the http://10.0.0.104 you will get a getting started guide right away.
Anyway, thanks for helping out, I guess this info should be on de webpages as well and maybe also in the zip-package as a readme or so. My current development build of UDA supports Centos 4 and 5 by the way... I'll also be adding 5.1 support.
the_dude

Postby tos » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:08 pm

Thanks Hjolli for this crash course. It'll get the ball rolling !
Tos
tos

Postby moks » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:10 am

what do i do on this part? i tried typing /udashare inside the console and it gave me a syntax error.

"Export the directory that holds the iso files. Give full access (read/write) and make sure that the uda has read/write access to the nfs share. Do not squash root access (no_root_squash). Your /etc/exports file should have a line something like this:

/udashare 10.0.0.104(rw,nohide,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,async)

Make sure that the directory exists and that the directory and the iso files have read/write access for root.

Then you tell the UDA where the ISO files are by going to the web-interface Mount-points menu, click create mount and choose NFS. Specify a name for the mount, the IP-address of the NFS server and the name of the export. And cLick OK."
moks

Postby the_dude » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi moks,

You would need to add the /udashare line in a file called /etc/exports.

But not on the UDA itself, you should have an NFS fileserver somewhere that can 'serve' the ISO images of VMWare ESX (or other Os'es you're deploying) If you have one the /udashare line should be placed in the /etc/exports of that fileserver...

If you do not have an NFS server you can also use a windows fileshare, but you would need to follow instructions in another section of the getting started page...
the_dude

Postby curarine » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:41 am

hi,

i'm also a new user, and have figured out how to get my ISO into UDA and boot my computer to UDA over PXE. windows is now installed, but i noticed two things: the region settings are all set to Dutch (Netherlands), and there's an administrator password set, which i did not choose!

What is the default password, and how do i fix the region?

Thanks!

Neil.
curarine

Postby the_dude » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:44 am

Moks,

You would need to edit the template configuration file. Go into the web interface to the templates page and his 'edit template' for you template. Then edit the text in the textarea,
The administrator password can be found on the line that says

AdminPassword=

The regional settings are under a headin in there that is called [RegionalSettings]

You can find the settings you need in there in the ref.chm which is inside Deploy.cab in the \Support\Tools folder on the Windows XP Professional (or windows 2003) operating system CD.
the_dude

Postby aonecomputers » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi all;
I downloaded UDA and VMWare server. I installed VMWare server on XP Home and it complained that I needed IIS. Do I need XP Pro? It continued anyway. This is a fresh XP Home install with nothing extra on it. I can wipe it and install XP Pro if required. I get a VMWare server console on the desktop and when I click it it asks local host or remote host? I chose local host. It then gives a menu with New Virtual Machine, Open Existing Virtual Machine, Switch Host, Configure Host. I chose New Virtual Machine. I then chose typical and then is asks me to select a guest OS. I assume I have to chose linux but where is the Linux coming from and what version do I choose?
Thanks for any help.
Sincerely,
Ed Newman
aonecomputers

Postby uno » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:16 pm

hjolli wrote:Had that sam problem today ;)
Get vmware server if you do not have it. install it.
open the vitual machine in vmware server put it on a host only network, and turn off the dhcp server for that network.
start the vm.
login with root and pw test
fdisk /dev/sdb and create a partition then mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /var/public/smbmount/DISK2 (put this in fstab soit mounts on boot.)
put anoter vitual machine (someting with a gui and browser) on the on the host only network and start it.
You need something with a browser to manage the vm deplyment tools.
go to http://10.0.0.104 (the default ip of the vm) login to the webui with usr:admin pw:admin.
what I did to test it I copyed a centos-5.1 dvd to /var/public/smbmount/DISK2
mounted it to /var/public/www/fedora/fc6 (mount -o loop /pathtoiso/centos.iso /var/public/www/fedora/fc6
becuse i used the fc6 template to create a centos install.
Create a template fill out the id and the discription edit the kick start file put sda insted of hda if you are useing scsi disk in the vm you want to install on , put the type of keyboard layout you want etc. save the template.
Create a new virtual machine put it on the host only network start it press F12 to network boot.
Then you get a menu with you template choose it and see if it works. It did for me.

Hjolli

I am new to this and tryed the procedure, but I have no connection to the webui (http://10.0.0.104) from the openSUSE VM.
Seems that the uda14 VM doesn' have any network connetion. I get "Connect: Network si unreachable" when I try ping the openSUSE VM from within uda14 VM.
Ping from the host system to the openSUSE VM works ok. I have set network type to host only on both VM's.
Any hint?

Uno
uno

crossover cable

Postby VladDrakul » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:43 am

hi there, in cant find were to post this big question

for what i have see, to configure and run UDA i need to be conectet to a lan, so my quiestion or questions are

-how can be used a crossover cable to boot a pc, like laptop (server) to pc (client) without a hub?
-if it's possible, how to configured?

hope some one answer
VladDrakul

Postby vwdevotee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:55 am

Hopefully people will look past the random drug ads to read this.

I've been asked by my faculty advisor to start working on putting together a Beowulf class cluster. After it finishes running a long simulation (next week probably), I'm going to install Quantian on one of our Windows boxes to act as the head node and I'll start ordering parts for the diskless compute nodes. So my plan is to use Quantian (as mentioned) on the head node, and CHAOS on the compute nodes. Can I use UDA on the head node to serve the CHAOS iso to the drones? To be forward, I'm learning Linux on the fly right now, so I might/probably will ask so really stupid easy questions. Thanks for any help you can give!

Also, is there a minumum number of posts before I can post directly to the forum and create new topics?
vwdevotee

Postby flatpack » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:25 pm

sorry can not start new topic so i have to hijack this thread.

i successfully creatd to os (win xp and server 2003) and when i try to boot blank machine it can get ip address and after few lines it says
Boot failed: press a key to retry, or wait for reset....
then after opening PXE Configuration from web interface and just clicked apply not i m getting blank screen with blue box in it.
with some strange words (some machine words) and if i hit enter it ask me passwowrd,
can some one tell me what password and why i can not see my os.

(i m trying uda 2.0 build 14
flatpack

Postby flechmen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:08 am

Hey there,
Just got this all set up. Using UDA 2.0 on a VirtualBox VM, bridged to my nic on the host. I have my DD-WRT router set up to give clients the proper DHCP information.

So, I boot my client off of the network, it successfully loads the boot options menu from UDA.

I set up a Windows ISO and template through the web interface just fine, but when I go to select it from the client it just tells me "TFTP FAILED" with no other text on the screen.

So, what's a fix for this? I can't search the forums for this error, it just tells me that it ignores all the search terms because they're too common :evil:
(I hate phpBB with an absolute passion...)

I tried the Windows Uppercase Bug with no luck.

Host system:
Lenovo T61
Windows 7 64 bit
Virtualbox VM bridged to NIC - IP address 192.168.1.100

DHCP/router/switch:
Linksys WRT54GTM router with DDWRT
DNSMasq set to tell clients the proper PXE information http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4662
Client is running through an additional little Netgear switch, but this should be irrelevant.

Client system:
Dell Inspiron 5100
Intel NIC
It boots into the UDA menu just fine

Windows disc:
Windows XP Home Edition SP3.
Slipstreamed with all the Dell drivers and customized with nLite

I can't seem to be able to post my own threads...
flechmen

Return to Ultimate Deployment Appliance