ESX and DISK2 question

This forum discusses topics about the Ultimate Deployment Appliance

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

ESX and DISK2 question

Postby zthephoenixz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:58 am

Just wanted to ask, I am running this under ESX 3 and it works fine but when i converted DISK2 it turned into a 50Gb image, but the disk isn't mounted inside the UDA OS.

Do I need it, what does the UDA use it for?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

James
zthephoenixz

Postby the_dude » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:29 am

The second disk should be (automatically) mounted under /var/public/smbmount/DISK2 after it is initialised through the webinterface.
(did you do that already? go to System menu and see diskspace option...)

After doing that check out the /etc/fstab, the entry for disk2 should have been added. something like:
/dev/sdb /var/public/smbmount.DISK2 ....
if it isn't there, then you've found a bug or something...

good luck!
the_dude

Postby zthephoenixz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:42 am

In the web interface it shows

LOCAL DISK1 localhost DISK1 Mount Unmount Delete Mounted
LOCAL DISK2 localhost DISK2 Mount Unmount Delete Not Initialized

and there is no entry in /etc/fstab for it at all, had a look at fdisk /dev/sdb and it threw up errors and there was no partition on the drive. Wonder if the conversion to ESX caused the problem.

Why is the DISK2 50Gb?
zthephoenixz

Postby the_dude » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:09 pm

The second disk is storage only, the uda doesn't really need it, but you can store your CD/DVD iso images on there and the UDA will see them properly.
Out-of-the-box the second disk is not initialized/formatted/mounted etc.

If you only use DVD/CD images over nfs/smb then you might as well forget about the second disk in UDA and delete the image files and hack it out of the VM configuration.

Below the lines you are refering to in the web-interface there should be a button that says 'Initialise second disk' If you hit that then the disk will be initialised, formatted, mounted etc. If you are not planning on hitting it delete the second disk until you need it.

Also you may change the second disk size in the VM configuration and then initialise it thourgh the web-interface. Play around whith that second disk at will, the uda won't suffer from it when it's not there, not available etc...
the_dude

Postby zthephoenixz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:18 pm

Ok great will resize and create it, but no initialize disk button in the web interface, very strange.

Might try getting a raw uda down and re-set it up (i had it running for a while on a vmware server before converting to our esx server)

Thanks for the help :-)
zthephoenixz

Re: ESX and DISK2 question

Postby RTamas » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Greeting!

Could anyone help me about how to extend the storage particion?
I've got the needed ISO files, but I'm having trouble extending the size of the particion.

Already tried to do this via the admin panel, but it seems I'm running into a problem:
I just received the following message:

No devices found to extend the volume with

I would appreciate any tips or workarounds to solve this issue.

Regards
- Tamás
RTamas

Return to Ultimate Deployment Appliance