DHCP Boot Requests Only

This forum discusses topics about the Ultimate Deployment Appliance

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

DHCP Boot Requests Only

Postby HilcrRWise » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:13 am

I have been having a play around with UDA 2.0 and have a query related to the included DHCP service. On the same network that we wish to use the UDA we have a managed server, that is also running the DHCP service, that we do not have access to to make changes to settings. Can the DHCP service included with UDA be setup to only accept PXE boot requests and ignore any requests that come from windows?

Thanks
HilcrRWise

Re: DHCP Boot Requests Only

Postby admin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:50 pm

Difficult. You can tell the DHCP daemon to reply to PXE requests only, but the problem then is that further on in the boot process the system will request a DHCP ip address again, but that request will not be tagged as a PXE request....

The better way to do this is to disable DHCP altogether in the UDA and make the other DHCP server point to the UDA for network installations.
Here's a quick way to get started with the microsoft DHCP server:
http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/?p=381

Another way is to only to have the DHCP server only respond to predefined MAC adresses you specify

And if you prefer to solve it on the network level you could make vlan's.
admin
Site Admin

Postby HilcrRWise » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 am

Unfortunately modifying the main DHCP server is not an available option (too closely managed by an external agency). As a quick test I setup a computer to install XP through UDA and immediately after the computer received it's first IP address through PXE I stopped the DHCP server on UDA and the install still finished and booted to XP with no problems so I think the first option may work for me. Can you let me know how to tell the dhcp daemon to reply to PXE requests only so I can give it a trial run.

Thanks
HilcrRWise

Postby the_dude » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:51 am

THe following part in the dhcp configuration takes care of PXE boots (it returns the IP and filename to be gotten for PXE boots)

Code: Select all
if substring ( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9) = "PXEClient"
{
  filename "pxelinux.0" ;
  next-server 10.0.0.1 ;
}

If you delete everything after this then you will only respond to pxe boots. (I'm not sure if the dhcpd will restart if you do not have a subnet in there. Please check the dhcp documentation if so.)

You'll have to make sure that the systems you install will get their IP information from the other DHCP server and you'll have to find out (trial and error) if the other DHCP server does not respond to PXE requests. If it does you're out of luck.
the_dude

My name is evexsypeGeake, I love your site guys, We have alw

Postby evexsypeGeake » Sat May 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Gday others, We have always been brand new in the particular online community. Wanted to say good day

Basically want to say hiya to everyone around your forum. I am new here and solely getting to be aware of my personal way all across right here. Delighted to discover that right now there are communities in which My spouse and i will be able to state I come to feel at home in.

Prahabunti Zuwabmi,
A.K.A evexsypeGeake :)

my home page
evexsypeGeake

Postby poopa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:20 pm

For some reason cannot post new topic sO ill just reply to this one. sorry.

Getting these errors when trying to install ESX (as a VM) using UDA:
No COS NICs have been added by the user.
HostCtlException during cosConnect(): Unable to immidiatly obtain a dynamic address for this interface. the DHCp server may be slow or unreachable. Interface removed. A Network connection could not be made to fetch http://192.168.10.200/kickstart/ESX/BUILD_ESX1.cfg

Is this related to the dhcpd on the UDA or the kickstart script? I have tested the dhcp server working with a Ubuntu machine and it works.

Thanks!
poopa

Return to Ultimate Deployment Appliance