RHEL support - can we help?

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

RHEL support - can we help?

Postby bevanbroun » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:25 am

I see that:<quote>
I'm working on RHEL on popular demand.
</quote>

Well I have about 80 RHEL servers to install. These are HP Prolient Blade servers.

It would seem a good time to learn kickstart and also contribute to UBA.

Should adding CentOS/RHEL be much work? Any pointers to get us going?
Any traps that a kickstart newbie might not be aware of?

Thanks
bevanbroun

Re: RHEL support - can we help?

Postby the_dude » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:44 am

I'm more or less done with adding redhat and centos support. I need to do some testing though, or if you like you can help out with that. You can add the Centos 5.1 DVD to UDA by telling it it is a Fedora code DVD.

Here's some things you may want to look at when doing your first kickstart install

* To get to know kickstart installation download the UDA and run it in vmware server/workstation/player on you desktop. From the webinterface Import the OS, create a template. Configure another VM on your desktop with 1 IDE harddisk, start it and boot it to PXE (F12).

* You may have to fiddle around with the network settings and the dhcp settings. In short: all machines should be able to get a DHCP address from the UDA and be able to download files over tftp port 69 (PXE) and http port 80 from the UDA using the DHCPobtained IP address. You can use another DHCP server that points to the UDA as a boot-server, look around in the forum for more info on that.

* Remove your SAN-cables (if you want to install on local disk), usually kickstart installations have a tendency of installing on the first scsi device they come across, which is more than sometimes not you local disk but a SAN disk which WILL be repartitioned, formatted and overwritten.

* If this is the first time you are trying a kickstart install, try a manual install first. After installation look in the /root directory, the choices you made during that installation are written to a kickstart configuration file (anaconda-ks.cfg), so you can see what it would have looked like.

* With HP servers your first SCSI device will probably be named something like /dev/cciss/c0d0 as opposed to /dev/sda in other vendors sytems (IBM, Dell etc). You'll need this info for your kickstart configuration file.

* Make sure you do not save your kickstart configuration file from a windows notepad, since it will add carriage returns (^M) after the linefeeds. If you must use windows, use wordpad.

* In your kickstart installation script you can add your own command-shell-instructions under a %post tag that will be run after the installation is done, but it is run BEFORE the system is rebooted, so your mountpoints may not be as you expect them to be after installation.

MUCH more info on kickstart instalations is at:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linu ... tart2.html

Good luck!
the_dude

Return to OS Support