Unattended not working

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

Unattended not working

Postby jellekamma » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Hello,

I have the UDA working fine. I have some cd's wich are automated with unattended installs.
When I Convert these CD's to ISO they remain unattended in vmware.
When I mount them in the UDA they become attended. So when I start the setup, it will always ask for a windows serial.
Does anyone knows why this his happening. I have tried dutch cd's as wel as english (I see the language change so it does mount the correct iso)

thanks in advance!
jellekamma

Re: Unattended not working

Postby aviadra » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:39 pm

u need to edit the templet file..
the ISO\CD ver of the install stores the unattended part in the CD in the i386 dir, in the file winnt.sif
when u use UDA the unatteded part is stored in the templet or if u wannt b spesific /var/public/tftproot/templt_name.sif

simply edit the templet to reflect the unattended part... best of luck

(comment: no spell cheker)
aviadra

Postby jellekamma » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi,

I don't understand, all the info needed is in the ISO right? Why do I have to make a template? These ISO's are 100% unattended. I don't want to fill in any more stuff. How can I make this happen?
jellekamma

Postby aviadra » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:16 pm

again, the unattended CD uses a file called winnt.sif from inside the i386 directory on the CD it self.

when you use the RIS engine, the unattended stuff are read from another place (like i said above).

in order to change the file you need to edit the template, because the network installation of XP works differently then the CD install.

just enough to get you confused :)
aviadra

Postby jellekamma » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:57 am

aha ok thanks! So what stuff do I need to alter in that file?
So I just need to copy the winnt.sif from the CD to the template folder read bij UDA?
jellekamma

Postby aviadra » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:46 pm

if memory serves, you need to copy some of the content of the winnt.sif file into the new template your creating.

btw consider using imaging technology instead of RIS installations.

i currently use the FOG project and i know "the Dude" no longer maintains UDA...

i mean RIS is XP specific and doesn't work well at that, and imaging is a one stop shop for all your OS needs...
aviadra

Postby hedan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:46 am

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.
hedan

Return to OS Support