Windows 7 Support

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

Re: Windows 7 Support

Postby the_dude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:09 pm

Sounds like the binl service is not running.
Please check the Services page and see if binl service is in the running state, otherwise try to (re-)start it.
the_dude

Postby Maddy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 am

the_dude wrote:Sounds like the binl service is not running.
Please check the Services page and see if binl service is in the running state, otherwise try to (re-)start it.

I restarted the BINL service. but still getting the same error :cry:
can you help me in getting rid off this error and get the deployment done.

thanks,

Madhusudan M I
Maddy

Postby Maddy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:41 am

I am waiting since two weeks for the reply. but there are no replies :(

can you please help me in resolving the issue.

your replies are highly appreciable

thanks,

Madhusudan M I
Maddy

Postby Synchonicity » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi,

I'm working on the automated deployment of Windows 7. I was originally trying the UDA, but there seemed to be some problems with it (e.g. the script in Windows PE not working, and uploading the Windows ISO not working due to being too large), but the techniques used in the UDA were helpful. I just have a couple comments/questions:

- I originally had trouble with WinPE finding the network drivers. It turned out that the problem was kind of artificial because WinPE did include the needed driver, but the `wpeinit' program was not executed, so they were never loaded. Shouldn't `wpeinit' be executed at the beginning of the install.cmd file?

- I have rewritten wimlib. It is highly experimental, but it has more error checking than the original code, some support for multi-image WIM's, and has man pages for the commands. I don't have a server but I uploaded it temporarily to http://www.mediafire.com/file/dxgm7chxh41lm34/wimlib-0.3.tar.gz.

- I've gotten Windows PE to boot from the network without using the BINL server or Microsoft's pxeboot.com. Instead I make a bootable Windows PE iso and have PXELINUX load it using the `memdisk' module. Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way? It seems a bit simpler.
Synchonicity

Postby Synchonicity » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:41 pm

By the way, the new wimlib is a work in progress and I might have another version in a few days.
Synchonicity

Postby Synchonicity » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:51 pm

I have been working on wimlib some more. I am basically doing a (re)implementation of the "imagex" program from Windows. I am getting rid of the actionfile method of updating WIM files in favor of doing a real mount using FUSE, but that is still in the preliminary stage. I have added support for parsing and writing the XML through libxml2. If anyone would like a copy you can send me a PM, as Mediafire seems to delete their files after only a few days. Still a work in progress though...
Synchonicity

Postby peterkuykendall » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi Synchonicity -

I'm happy to host the files on my Googled Documents account. I just created a folder called "UDA". It's publicly readable from the web using this link.

PM me and I'll give you write access to the directory.

Thanks for taking this on!
peterkuykendall

Postby Synchonicity » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:03 am

I've been doing some more work on the WIM library and it seems to be working pretty well now. Both read-only and read-write mounts have been working after fixing a few problems. I have implemented support for writing LZX compressed file resources, including the metadata resource. The LZX compression was quite tricky to get working, but it works now, although some improvements need to be made to the algorithm (LZ block analysis, and entropy calculations for block splitting). Luckily I was able to base it on some code that was already out there.

There is now a script mkwinpeiso that automatically builds a bootable ISO image of Windows PE from a mounted Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows Automated Installation Kit image, optionally specifying files to overlay or a script to be executed automatically when Windows PE boots up. It is basically just a shell script that relies on the ability to mount wims read-write using imagex mountrw, which implements a filesystem layer using FUSE, to do the actual changes. I tested making and running a Windows PE ISO from all 3 sources (Win7, Win8, and WAIK).

I named the most recent version 0.4.5 and it is in the Google collection. Feel free to try it out and see it if breaks.
Synchonicity

Postby smu » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:25 pm

About network support : I succeed to install both Win7 x64 and Win2k8R2 with a vmxnet3 nic.
I extrated the sys+inf from a working w2k8 VM : C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vmxnet3ndis6.inf_amd64_neutral...
And then followed te UDA logic : System\WinPE and next OS\Drivers.
smu

Postby Synchonicity » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Posted a new version to fix bug in the new LZX code on systems where unsigned long is 32 bits.
Synchonicity

Postby Synchonicity » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:14 am

New version of Wimlib available here. It now supports XPRESS compression and decompression, and the `mkwinpeiso' command has been expanded into a `mkwinpeimg' command that can also make a bootable disk image (a FAT filesystem with syslinux to load 'bootmgr') or just a modified WIM by itself. The ability to make a modified WIM by itself would be good for how the Windows 7 support in the UDA is set up currently, where it uses pxeboot.com and wdsnbp.0 instead of the MEMDISK technique that I've been using.
Synchonicity

Postby Synchonicity » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:41 pm

I have posted version 0.5.0 of wimlib here.

Among other changes, all functions in the public API of the library are now documented with Doxygen. Additionally, I have borrowed on some code and ideas from zlib in order to make compression faster and more effective.
Synchonicity

Postby larry54 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Hello everyone,
This forum hasn't been active in a while. I'm really hoping I can get some help for my problem. I am having the same problems as vlsher and I quoted him for reference. I didn't really see a response to his question and it doesn't allow me to PM him so I'm wondering if anyone has a solution or possible idea? The UDA is exactly what I'm looking for if I can get it to pxe Windows 7. Thanks.

vlsher wrote:I'm trying to deploy Win7x64 and I have the following on the screen of PC being installed:
Downloaded WDSNBP...
Architecture: x64
WDSNBP started using DHCP referral
Contacting server "uda20_IP_address" (Gateway: 0.0.0.0)..
No response from Windows Deployment Services server.
Launching pxeboot.com...
TFTP download failed
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Gateway address is set to "MyGateway_IP_address" in uda20 setup.
I guess that WDSNPB uses GW IP from some other source. Can someone give me a hint how to change it?
larry54

Postby larry54 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:26 pm

I am having the same problem as vlsher, exact same error message, everything. I didn't see any responses to his question. Is there anyone who knows how to fix this? Thank you.
larry54

Previous

Return to OS Support