UDA 2.0 Beta is out

Share your thoughts on the UDA 2.0

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

UDA 2.0 Beta is out

Postby the_dude » Tue May 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi everyone. I'm pleased to announce the beta of UDA 2.0. See http://ultimatedeployment.org/uda20beta.html Share your thoughts and experiences on this forum about it. Thanks to all you guys on these forums for your feedback on the earlier version(s)!
the_dude

Re: UDA 2.0 Beta is out

Postby teledata » Sat May 30, 2009 6:44 pm

ha - should have checked here earlier. Just spent a couple days beating the tar out of UDA 1.4 to force-feed it a working ESX 4 deployment.

Downloading it now and will give it a shot!
teledata

Postby teledata » Sun May 31, 2009 5:25 pm

Got my first ESX 4 installing from UDA 2.0

So - since they got rid of the chroot options in ESX4 now we really need to get the sub-template working to supply IPs/hostnames automatically.

Anyway you have a short and sweet primer so I can start testing the subtemplates?

Is it [VARIABLENAME]=VALUE or something as simple as that?
teledata

Postby the_dude » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:18 am

You may want to try something like this (paste this in the manual edit of the subtemplates:)

Code: Select all
SUBTEMPLATE;IPADDRESS;VMNIC
esxserver1;10.0.0.1;vmnic0
esxserver2;10.0.0.2;vmnic1
esxserver3;10.0.0.3;vmnic1
esxserver4;10.0.0.4;vmnic0

and the do something like the following in your kickstart file:
Code: Select all
network --device=[VMNIC] --ip=[IPADDRESS] --hostname=[SUBTEMPLATE]  --netmaks=255.255.255.0

You can add more 'columns' by separating them with semicolons.
Anything in the kickstart file and the kernel command line will be found and replaced.
You always need a column named SUBTEMPLATE with unique values in it.
The values in the SUBTEMPLATE column will be available in the PXE menu
the_dude

Postby shai » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Just finished going through the setup. Setup my IP as 192.168.1.136. I can ping the IP just fine from any machine on the network and access the web interface. However, I cannot access the web interface from the same machine running vmplayer and uda 2.

Any ideas why?

Sorry for posting here as I cannot create new topics.
shai

Postby the_dude » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:48 am

Could be the browser (proxy?) settings or maybe the default gateway of your system. UDA virtual network card is set to bridged by default. If you can access it from other systems in the network then that seems to work well.

Can you ping the UDA from the sytem that runs the vmware player? If not, there's something with the network settings, if so then it must be the browser or maybe a (windows) firewall.

Good luck!

(posting new topics is disabled due to spammers...)
the_dude

Postby shai » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:38 pm

I can ping the vmplayer IP # just fine from the same machine.

Looks like this is a bug in Chromium. Heres my setup in case anyones curious in investigating this:

Ubuntu 8.04:
VMPLAYER running UDA2
Firefox: works
Chromium: page never loads. You dont get to the login option even

OSX 10.5.7:
Safari: works
Chromium: same as above.

So my apologies if I spoke too soon.
shai

Postby darkpixel2k » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:25 am

For the life of me, I can't seem to post a new topic to any forum.
I noticed a possible bug in UDA 2.0 Beta Release 2 when uploading new NIC drivers.
I uploaded the PCnet-FAST III drivers to the appliance via the website.
The two files were 'netamd.inf' and 'PCNTPCI5.sys' with that exact case.
The files were uploaded with the exact same case to the appliance, however TFTP translated PCNTPCI5.sys to pcntpci5.sys and tried to read it, giving a NAK and causing setup to halt. I renamed the file to it's lower-case version and setup worked correctly.
darkpixel2k

Postby the_dude » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:24 am

I've temporarily disabled new new topic posting due to spammers, until i've found out how to get rid of spammers (or maybe they will have given up after a while)

As for your bug: good find! I'll make sure it gets squashed before the next build!
the_dude

Postby deritchie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:07 am

Hello all,

new to UDA, was performing a new install using the UDA 2.0 beta.. and ran into this problem:

Getting into the setup wizard for UDA 2.0, it progresses correctly until it reaches the screen labeled "IP Configuration".
At that point, the only fields that are selectable via tabbing between fields are IP address, <OK>, or <CANCEL>.
The subnet mask and gateway fields can not be accessed or modified. Hit OK gives you the message "The netmask
you typed is not a valid netmask". I end up having to crash the VM to exit...

The machine is running under VMware Server 2.01, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7200 on a Shuttle K45 system (with
2 GB of memory and a single 500 GB disk). The VMware server is running under a Fedora 10 installed with up to date
patching. Any suggestions?

-- Dave Ritchie
deritchie

Postby stwilhel » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:34 am

Hi all,

Will UDA 2.0 (when finalized) support initial deployment of VMware vSphere 4 ESXi also?
- Embedded Version (initial configuration of hostname, IP, joining vCenter etc.)
- Installable version (install to disk, initial configuration of hostname, IP, joining vCenter etc.)

Rgds, Stein
stwilhel

Postby the_dude » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:30 am

deritchie, try the up and down keys, they bring you to the next field (cant help it, it's default in dialog)
the_dude

Postby the_dude » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:36 am

stwilhel,
Haven't planned on esx4i for 2.0 version.
If it does not have too much impact (and if I can find a description of how to do it manually) I may be able to add it through the update function.
the_dude

Postby pcvr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi to all,

We at CDG in the Netherlands intensively used UDA 1.4.1 within our training center. As a VATC we have to deploy lots of ESX servers for our classrooms - week after week. Now, with UDA 2.0 things are just getting better! The new features I like most are of course ESX4 support and the use of SubTemplates. It reduced our template repository by a factor of 8 (for each course we had 6 or 8 different templates). Some minor bugs might still exist, but the current beta seemed stable enough for production use in our classroom environment. Thank you guys!

Patrick van Rantwijk (VMware Certified Instructor)
CDG Netherlands
pcvr

Postby pcvr » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:07 am

Okay, found some issues which need to be addressed:

- Menu sorting does not work like it should. It does in the Web interface, but not in the PXE menu.
- The menu also lacks a proper keyboard handler, so it's almost impossibe to use the current system for unattended installations (in previous version I had scripted a response to the Boot: prompt, but now there is no more prompt). Is it possible to include a switch in the global configuration to toggle between the menu system and the good old Boot: prompt? Or is it possible to modify the menu system to make keyboard navigation possible by "highlighting" a character in the menu line and jumping to that line by pressing or scripting the charcter?
- Is it possible to create a "Boot from local disk" line in the menu system (which can be toggled on and off via a global parameter)?
- Is it possible to create a "default line" parameter and a time-out in the menu system? For example: always boot line "boot local" when no selection is made in 30 seconds
- Is it possible to edit the top line (titlebar) in the menu?
- The default script for ESX3.x.x did not work for my HP servers (DL360G5), cause via the drivetype box the parameter /dev/cciss/c0d0 was embedded in the script. It should be cciss/c0d0 (without the /dev part).
- When copying templates with include subtemplates option enabled, the subtemplates get lost and the system cannot boot properly
- When renaming templates, a new entry is made
- The shutdown option in the web interface does not work (shutdown command is not found)

I think overall the UDA2.0 is very nice and very usefull. ESX4 deployment works like a charm and Subtemplates are easy to setup and maintain. I like it!

Thanks,

Patrick van Rantwijk
Last edited by pcvr on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pcvr

Next

Return to UDA 2.0