UDA 2.0 Beta is out

Share your thoughts on the UDA 2.0

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

Re: UDA 2.0 Beta is out

Postby the_dude » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:54 am

Hi Patrick!
Good to hear that you like the new subtemplate feature!

Here's some comments on your requests/bug reports
* Menu sorting: You're right, I've solved that already, so it's coming!
* ESX3 on HP: I'll fix that
* PXE booting: I'll make an option to change the menu header and an extra entry with boot from first local hdd
* I'll make the default option available as well and the timeout you request (not sure how yet...)
* I'll check out the boot prompt question and see if I can squeeze that in somewhere. Is the MAC address not usable in your situation? And may I ask how you script an answer to the boot-prompt?
the_dude

Postby the_dude » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi everyone, i've uploaded beta build 5.
Downloads at: http://www.ultimatedeployment.org/uda20beta.html
Here's the new stuff since build 2:

General
* ADDED: Clonezilla support
* ADDED: GParted support
* ADDED: uuid.action="Keep" in vmx file

System
* FIXED: Shutdown and reboot now working: path not found
* FIXED: Mount status of OS flavors not OK when pathnames have spaces
* FIXED: restart of tftp fails regularly (added 2 second sleep)

PXE
* PXE menu was not rewritten after templates were sorted

Manual OS configuration
* FIXED: Cancel Manual OS Configuration did not work properly

ESX
* CHANGED: esx4 now has the installer media URL in the kickstart file instead of the kernel command line
* FIXED: remove /dev in Disktype for esx3

Windows XP/2000/2003
* FIXED: Windows templates without subtemplates did not work after apply edit template
* FIXED: lowercase .inf and .sys filenames when uploading windows ris drivers
* FIXED: Windows Ris drivers based on version 1.0 of infparser and binlsrv
* FIXED: binl service would not start when there was no driver database

BartPE Support
Known issue: ISO filename of BartPE must be in all-lowercase, Not really tested

* First Boot wizard
In the first boot wizard there are proposed values for DHCP configuration
when DHCP is (explicitly) activated in the wizard you will
be asked if you want to change them, oterwise you will get the defaults
(that is if you ever decide to activate the DHCP service)
the_dude

Postby pcvr » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:47 am

the_dude wrote:* I'll check out the boot prompt question and see if I can squeeze that in somewhere. Is the MAC address not usable in your situation? And may I ask how you script an answer to the boot-prompt?

I use TeraTerm to script against my HP iLO interfaces. It is possible to SSH into the iLO and take over te "console" of the server via Virtual Serial Port. I power on the server, connect to the VSP and initiate a PXE boot. When TeraTerm reads the Boot: prompt in the VSP it outputs the five character code of the image I'd like to boot. Works like a charm in 1.41. Due to the fact that I use my servers for VMware classes, I have multiple different templates per server, so MAC address won't help me out here.
Subtemplates are very useful in my scenario: I have 72 templates in my old UDA and can reduce it to 9 (with 8 subs per template)...

Now downloading build 5, will test it in the same way as build 2 and provide new feedback. Thank you for quick response!

Patrick van Rantwijk
CDG Europe B.V.
pcvr

Postby valhalla » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:24 am

What's new in UDA 2 b5?

P.S. Oh, sorry. Therea are 2 pages in topic.
Last edited by valhalla on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
valhalla

Postby pcvr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:14 am

As promised an update on build 5.

A lot of the bugs I've reported with build 2 are solved indeed. Thanks for that. Some issues however still exist:

- Renaming or copying templates still isn't working very well. Especially when using subtemplates, the server PXE boots and setup fails afterwards. I think this has something to do with static paths in some files which are not updated during move / copy.
- There is no way to change the "flavor' of the OS after configuration. For example, after configuring some ESX3 scripts and uploading an ISO with another Update level, there is no way to update my template to actually use the new update level.
- There seems to be no way to delete ISOs no longer in use via de web interface. Should be nice to have the possibility to remove unmounted ISOs directly. A file manager would be a nice to have...
- I cannot get %post scripts to work. The script are created on the ESX server (even with parsed variables from the subtemplates!!), but cannot be executed. This seems to be caused by the fact that the scripts are created in [dos] mode on the ESX server. When I use the 'sed' command to get rid of the ^M (dos-based CR/LF) characters and the 'chmod' command to set the scripts as executable, I can successfully run the scripts by hand.
- Update on the last reported issue: work-arounds with commandlines like tr -d '\15\32' < createdfilename > newfilename also fails, because the newfilename is trailed with an ^M as well... Also attempts to 'cut' the ^M, touch newfiles etc. do not work. The ^M after each command line is very, very persistent...
- Can the current configuration of the appliance and templates be exported or backed up to a file from within the web interface?

Will perform some more tests later on today and update my post when I run into more issues. Keep up the good work!

Patrick van Rantwijk
CDG Europe B.V.
pcvr

Postby hkjob04 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:55 pm

Greetings All,

I have used UDA 1.4 to deploy VMware ESX 3.5 and it is great. Any Idea if Citrix XenServer will be supported in this release?

Cheers

HK
hkjob04

Postby pcvr » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:36 am

Hi,

I still have issues with the %post section of the VMware ESX server templates. Both the UDA pre-defined scripts and my own hand-crafted scripts are created in some sort of DOS-like format on the ESX host and also refuse to be set as executable due to the fact that the script processor adds an ^M to every command it outputs to the VMware COS. Has anyone else run into the same problem? For us this is a major issue, because we have to deploy lots of ESX servers several times a week (for educational purposes).

Patrick van Rantwijk
CDG Europe B.V.
pcvr

Postby the_dude » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:42 am

Patrick,
About the ^M characters: Can you try the following:
in /var/public/cgi-bin/kickstart.pl

can you add the following lines in the sub kickstart_ApplyConfigureTemplate:
Code: Select all
  local($command)="/usr/bin/dos2unix $tmpfile";
  local($result)=&RunCommand($command,"Enforcing unix format","verbose");

near the end like so:

&RunCommand("cp $tmpfile $formdata{CONFIGFILE1}","Copying temporary file |$tmpfile| to |$formdata{CONFIGFILE1}|\n");
  unlink($tmpfile);

return 0;
}

(Should work, but haven't tested it since I'm not at my machine right now)
the_dude

Postby the_dude » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:47 am

hkjob04,
I've looked into the documentation of Xen Server and it seems to me that it's not very difficult to add.
It will probably come as an add-on/plugin/upgrade to the 2.0 version though.
the_dude

Postby pcvr » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:05 am

the_dude wrote:Patrick,
About the ^M characters: Can you try the following:
in /var/public/cgi-bin/kickstart.pl

can you add the following lines in the sub kickstart_ApplyConfigureTemplate:

(Should work, but haven't tested it since I'm not at my machine right now)

Hi,

This is not working, there is no such thing as 'dos2unix' available on an VMware ESX server.

But... I managed to create a work-around for this problem, which I was about to post here. It's a little bit of 'how to fool a Linux host', but it actually does the trick until a permanent solution is implemented.

First step is to create a post script file just as always. Copied and pasted my UDA 1.4 scripts in the UDA 2.0 appliance and replaced the fixed IP addresses with values which are ennumerated from the subtemplate values. This script is (in my case) written to the service console in /etc/rc3.d, because I want to have it run when the system boots. But because the UDA writes a not ready-to-be-used DOS-style file, I have my filename starting with a lowercase s, /etc/rc3.d/s11postconfig for example. Files starting with a lowercase s are not run by init.d.

Second step is to 'convert' this DOS-style script to a linux / unix type script. Because dos2unix is not available on an ESX host, I use the 'tr' command to 'translate' the DOS-style CR/LF to unix style:

tr -d '\15\32' < /etc/rc3.d/s11postconfig > /etc/rc3.d/S11postconfig

So now what happens? The translation is done and a new file is created: S11postconfig. But... when I use the 'ls' command on the /etc/rc3.d directory, I see the file is listed as... S11postconfig^M. Damn, here we go again! Another ^M... The ^M is appended to every single line the UDA writes to the ESX host, also to "single commands".

And here is how I fooled this ESX host. Took me a while, but I am happy now. The ^M is appended to every line of code... That means: when my command is not the last entry in a line, the command is executed in the right way and I am no longer obstructed by this annoying addition. So in my scripts, I changed the line of code listed above to the following line of code:

tr -d '\15\32' < /etc/rc3.d/s11postconfig > /etc/rc3.d/S11postconfig | echo "Done"

Why this echo statement? To have it not executed. The echo statement is useless indeed. And because the UDA adds ^M to it, it cannot even be executed. But... the command in front of the | character is executed, which means my filename now gets S11postconfig instead of S11postconfig^M.

Last step is to set the file attributes to executable:

chmod +x /etc/rc3.d/S11postconfig | echo "Done"

And again another useless echo command to make sure the first part is executed as intended.

So, here is a working template you can embed and use yourself:

%post
cat > /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/s11postconfig << EOF11
#!/bin/bash
Your script goes here...
rm -f /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/s11postconfig
rm -f /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S11postconfig
EOF11
tr -d '\15\32' < /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/s11postconfig > /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S11postconfig | echo "Done"
/bin/chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S11postconfig | echo "Done"

Why no echo statement at the end of the first line to prevent the UDA from creating an s11postconfig^M file? Symply: s11postconfig is not the last part of the line, the End Of FIle marker is. The EOF11 actually is changed to EOF11^M during execution (because it is the last part in line), but that's OK with me, because later on the EOF11 again is the last part a line of code, which means it is converted to EOF11^M as well. It does not matter what you use as End Of File marker, as long as it is the same both after the cat command and at the end of the required output.

The both rm statements at the end of the script make sure it runs only once. You can change them if you like or just leave them out if you'd like to setup a script which should run every time the system enters runlevel 3.

Enjoy!

Patrick van Rantwijk
CDG Europe B.V.
pcvr

Postby the_dude » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Great way to fool the ESX server to ignore the ^M characters!
The approach I was attempting (but apparently did not work) was to change the UDA code to strip all ^M characters by performing a dos2unix (on the UDA itself) after saving the kickstart file that holds the post-script.
I'm still convinced that I should change something in the UDA to make it work without workarounds, but the part that I did not get was that you say that dos2unix does not work on ESX. In the change that I propose you should go into the uda with ssh and change the actual perl-code of the UDA, but I'll go test it when I get to my computer.
the_dude

Postby pcvr » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:28 pm

the_dude wrote:Great way to fool the ESX server to ignore the ^M characters!
The approach I was attempting (but apparently did not work) was to change the UDA code to strip all ^M characters by performing a dos2unix (on the UDA itself) after saving the kickstart file that holds the post-script.
I'm still convinced that I should change something in the UDA to make it work without workarounds, but the part that I did not get was that you say that dos2unix does not work on ESX. In the change that I propose you should go into the uda with ssh and change the actual perl-code of the UDA, but I'll go test it when I get to my computer.

Hi,

I am currently setting up a second instance of the UDA (version 2.0 Build 5) in which I will try to change the code on the UDA itself. Not sure what will happen, because even single commands are affected by this weird issue... Will keep you posted.

Patrick
pcvr

Postby pcvr » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:42 pm

pcvr wrote:I am currently setting up a second instance of the UDA (version 2.0 Build 5) in which I will try to change the code on the UDA itself. Not sure what will happen, because even single commands are affected by this weird issue... Will keep you posted.

Tested it, but at no luck. Output written to the ESX host still is in DOS format instead of UNIX format.

Patrick van Rantwijk
CDG Europe B.V.
pcvr

Postby pcvr » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:31 am

After playing around with the UDA 2.0 Build 5 for a while, I have some feature requests regarding to the menu system. Some of them I reported already, but I'll put them down here again for a complete overview.

First of all: the menu system is very nice and user-friendly enough, but I like to see some additional features:
- The possibility to change the title line of the menu system
- The possibility to set a default item which is booted after a configurable timeout has expired
- The possibility to set 'hotkey' items (highlight one character and jump straight to that line by pressing it on the keyboard), also for subtemplates
- The possibility to boot from a local harddrive (maybe also configurable parameter 0x80, 0x81, etc)
- The possibility to access a boot: prompt, in order to enable fully unattended and scripted installations via the UDA appliance
- The possibility to display the contents of the 'Description' field in the menu rather than just the template name

Some (minor) changes / additions I'd like to see to the administrator web portal:
- A file manager to manage and remove ISO files from the appliance
- The version button is not reporting the current build level of the appliance
- A progress bar for extending the local volume
- The option to add my own Global Variables to be used in templates and subtemplates
- The possibility to change the flavor of an OS instance (for example replace ESX 3.5 Update 3 with Update 4 without having to rebuild the template)
- The possibility to export/import the entire configuration of the UDA appliance or a set of templates, like the 'download subtemplates' feature
- The possibility to upgrade to the final version of the UDA without having to start over again(!)

To complete this overview some bugs which still exist in Build 5:
- Renaming templates does not work (a new template is created and the boot line still refers to the old one)
- Copying templates does not work (has the same effect as renaming)
- The UDA adds ^M to every script line (already broadly discussed in the forum)

I guess that's it for now. Currently implementing four Build 5 UDAs in our training environments (so that's why I like being able to upgrade without having to start over...). We are very satisfied so far and for sure will promote UDA during class!

Thank you!

Patrick van Rantwijk
CDG Europe B.V.
pcvr

Postby sannear » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:38 am

Found an issue setting up Solaris x86

When you create a new template (called bbbb) it mounts it on /solaris/bbbb

The template entry is ............

kernel /multiboot.sol10x86.bbbb kernel/unix -v m verbose install http://192.168.0.20/jumpstart/bbbb/default.tar -B install_media=192.168.0.20:/bbbb

It should be

kernel /multiboot.sol10x86.bbbb kernel/unix -v m verbose install http://192.168.0.20/jumpstart/bbbb/default.tar -B install_media=192.168.0.20:/solaris/bbbb

I think the fix is to patch

/var/public/cgi-bin/os/sol10x86.pl

with

[root@uda20 os]# cat solarispatch.diff
294c294
< local($kernelline)=" kernel /multiboot.[OS].[FLAVOR] kernel/unix -v m verbose install http://[UDA_IPADDR]/jumpstart/[TEMPLATE]/[SUBTEMPLATE].tar -B install_media=[UDA_IPADDR]:/[FLAVOR]";
---
> local($kernelline)=" kernel /multiboot.[OS].[FLAVOR] kernel/unix -v m verbose install http://[UDA_IPADDR]/jumpstart/[TEMPLATE]/[SUBTEMPLATE].tar -B install_media=[UDA_IPADDR]:/solaris/[FLAVOR]";
sannear

PreviousNext

Return to UDA 2.0