UDA 2.0 Beta is out

Share your thoughts on the UDA 2.0

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

UDA 2.0 Beta is out: 1 bug, 1 feature request

Postby mikeo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Greetings,
Well, it's been a week and I don't see any more information on MAC addresses as a variable in subtemplates; I installed 672 OS instances with the UDA (plus a few trial runs, so I'm sure the number was over 700!) The subtemplates are great but here is what I've discovered on the ^M bug:

Any post install script is transferred to the target system with ^M at the end of the line, this seems to be due to the command interpreter in the UDA. I edited the file via the web interface using:

Mac:
Safari
Firefox
Chrome

Windows:
Safari
Firefox
IE
Chrome

and every file had the ^M trailing character. A run of the "file" command on the install scripts shows that are being created in a MS-DOS format. I know this has been discussed before, but I did some thorough testing and wanted to provide the results. If I get a chance I'll look through the build scripts and see if I can identify where the file format is set and how this bug could be fixed. The "file" results that I get on the .cfg file is:
ASCII C++ program text, with CRLF line terminators
the same file with the ^M removed is:
ASCII C++ program text

vi thinks the file is:
[noeol][dos]

Now to more on my feature request; I'll dig in to the code on this as well and see if I can build a working solution and offer that up...
From what I can see, the option to move the MAC address binding to the subtemplates should be easy (if I knew what I was doing!); The files for MAC binding are located in:
/var/public/tftproot/pxelinux.cfg/
and contain a call to default.cfg. In theroy the MAC address binding could be moved to the subtemplates and then a global variable could be used to change "default.cfg" to "$MACADDRESS" in /var/public/tftproot/pxelinux.cfg/$MACADDRESS

Regards,
_mikeo_
mikeo

Re: UDA 2.0 Beta is out

Postby 4uda » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:54 pm

Strange error when trying to create new mount w/ Win network share (cifs mount).
No mount point shows up in web UI but win share is mounted in /var/public/smbmount and can be listed with ls -al.
No ISOs from this share usable. tried firefox and IE: same error.

What's going wrong?

thx

Error found: seems to come from length of name for mount point. If I choose e.g. "a1" mount point is shown.
If I choose "a_bb-cccc" mount point doesn't show up in web GUI.
longer names worked in 1.4 though

Nevetheless great SW which is one of my favoite tools w/ vmware. Thx!
Last edited by 4uda on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4uda

Postby 4uda » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:04 pm

tried to use UDA 2.0 w/ Opensolaris 2009.06 x86.
Failed w/ message: Error - Could not copy kernel

Does UDA 2.0 not work w/ OpenSolaris 2009.06 x86?
If not could this be included in furture and does someone know a work around.
I'd love to use UDA w/ OS09.06 as well :D

thx
4uda

Postby the_dude » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:31 pm

Mikeo,
The MAC thing is already in there, just try to add a column to the subtemplates with the column name MAC
and add the mac adresses to the lines with variables:
Code: Select all
SUBTEMPLATE;MAC
a1;00-00-00-00-00-00
a2;00-00-00-00-00-01
a3;00-00-00-00-00-02

And the files you mention will show up in the pxelinux.cfg directory when you save the template.
I've not thoroughly tested this feature though.
the_dude

Postby the_dude » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:37 pm

Mikeo,

About the ^M problems, this was solved by adding a few lines of code:
Check out the following post:

http://www.ultimatedeployment.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=315&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30#p823
the_dude

Postby nicolias » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Hello,

This is a great utility for ESX server deployment but I have been unable to deploy any windows images at all. I have scavenged the forums looking for a clue but haven't found any.

I have tried to deploy 2003, XP, and XP64bit. I create a OS through the WUI it succeeds but it is not mounted when I go back to the OS screen. When I try and mount it I get an error, "mount: mount point /var/public/tftproot/windows5/XP32bitTest does not exist" If I create a folder at : /var/public/tftproot/windows5/XP32bitTest the mount will succeed but I none of the vmlinux are initrd get created like they do for the ESX OS's I have tested.

I am confused as can be about all of this and don't see where I am going wrong. I really think this product has great potential but right now after many hours of troubleshooting my possible failures I am just frustrated.

Please point me in a direction to help resolve the failures.

Also, I see in the forums references to logs and to view logs for the failures. The only logs I am aware of for this app are the SMB mount logs @ /var/logs. I would love to know more.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nicholas
nicolias

Postby bryanrood » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 pm

I figured out my problem, so I'm removing it in the post since I don't see a delete button, but keeping the following:

Also, suggestion: Please mask the password for the "windows share options", it was masked in 1.4 but now it is not.

I look forward to doing my first kickstart!

Bryan
bryanrood

Postby aveenema » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:10 am

WARLOCK wrote:The "No COS added by user" error as some have already pointed out is that esx4 when it builds creates avirtual switch with a random mac and then tries to build off that.

This is fine if you have an open DHCP server and avaliable IP, However if like me you are using DHCP but only with reservations then the error appears as teh virtual switch does not get given an IP.

There is a fix however, if you edit the menu file and add to the bottom of each menu item for ESX4 "IPAPPEND 1" the server will boot and build of the first nic and this will not be an issue.
eg. (subtemplate)
LABEL DERBLESX31
MENU LABEL DERBLESX31
KERNEL vmlinuz.esx4.ESX_4_0_0_164009
APPEND ks=http://10.1.101.46/kickstart/ESX4/DERBLESX31.cfg initrd=initrd.esx4.ESX_4_0_0_164009 mem=512M
IPAPPEND 1

Here is the problem though every time you make a change and save the menu file the IPAPPEND 1 get's removed,
How can I included it the tempales automatially.

I had the same issue where I needed to include IPAPPEND 2 for the installation to pick the ks script from the net using the correct interface. This is why I edited templates.pl , which is the perl script that writes the kickstart scripts to include the IPAPPEND 2.
Be sure to include it at al places:

print PXEFILE "  KERNEL $kernel\n";
       print PXEFILE "  APPEND $append\n";
       print PXEFILE "  IPAPPEND 2\n";

This worked for me!!

Kind regards,
Arnold
aveenema

Postby HaTaX » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Quick question on 2.0 build 5, I have used it to deploy Openfiler on a server and it worked just perfectly for that job. So now I would like to use it to update the BIOS for the Adaptec 51645 on the same machine in question.

I have done some digging and came up with using this iso:
http://www.allbootdisks.com/downloads/I ... otdisk.iso

Modified the ISO to include the adaptec's firmware files and went to add it to UDA 2.0. The problem is that it is a dos boot image, and there is no choice for that in the menu. I am guessing I should use the manual choice, but am unsure of what I need to place in the fields.

The real question here is does UDA 2.0 support dos ISOs yet in the manual configuration, or is this something I will need to look for elsewhere?

Also, thanks for the fantastic appliance! This is the cleanest one I have found yet, and it's still currently being updated which is great. Kudos!
HaTaX

Postby mikeo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:13 pm

there isn't a delete, so I'm erasing my last post this way...
mikeo

Postby HaTaX » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:24 pm

gmikej wrote:I am encountering an issue when trying to connect the ESX 4.0 iso image.

I go to OS > New >
Flavor Name: ESX4
Operating System: VMWare ESX Server 4.x.x
Next >
Connect to the .iso (64bit ESXi 4.0 straight off of VMWare's website)
Finish >
Error
Could not copy vmlinuz/var/public/www/esx4/ESX4/isolinux/vmlinuz to /var/public/tftproot/vmlinuz.esx4.ESX4

Any ideas?
Thanks for this great product,
Mike Johnson
Systems Admin

PS: I tried creating a new topic but that doesn't appear to be an option.

Also getting the exact same error as the person above. NFS seems to be on the fritz on openfiler, so I connected to the share via SMB. Using the following path while importing the OS: "/vmware/VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.0.0-171294.x86_64.iso" and I am getting the same error as above.

Ideas?
HaTaX

Postby HaTaX » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:01 pm

the_dude wrote:stwilhel,
Haven't planned on esx4i for 2.0 version.
If it does not have too much impact (and if I can find a description of how to do it manually) I may be able to add it through the update function.

I am going to look into modifying the script for ESX to work with ESXi, and will be using this as a reference:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsp_4_pxe_boot_esxi.pdf

If you're looking for a description of what needs to be done, that seems like a nice short description of what files are needed and the configuration for PXE booting ESXi.
HaTaX

Postby maverickbna » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:56 pm

I found some bugs while attempting to demonstrate the beta build 5:

* ISOs will not mount properly. Adding -o ro to the mount command will fix this.

* Also many live CDs I have tried to use cannot be installed properly at the 'copying vmlinuz'

Please let me know if this helps. :)
maverickbna

Postby HaTaX » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:25 am

I came up with a quick easy fix for ESXi4 on uda20, this isn't really meant to be a fix only a workaround. Needed to get ESXi 4 installed on a few hosts that are getting upgraded from VMWare server, and CD-Roms were becoming a pain quickly.

I will most likely figure out what needs to be added to a template to get this to work, but if anyone wants something that works now, here it is.
Start by adding a ESX4 type OS in uda20 and let it get to the error screen saying it can't find "vmlinuz". After it gets this error, the OS will still appear in the list and will be ready for use in a template.
Next add a template for ESX4 and call it something like ESXi4.

Now from the shell do the following things: (Modifiy the paths as needed for your environment)

Copy the boot files from the ESXi 4 disc by using the following command "cp /var/public/www/esx4/ESXi4/*.* /var/public/tftproot/ESXi4"
(I know copying the files is actually storing them on the appliance, but I'll be looking into a working ESXi4 solution that will have a template type for it.

Modify the ESXi 4 menu to use the new files you copied over. (I used nano to do so, but you can use whatever works)
I changed:
/var/public/tftproot/pxelinux.cfg/templates/ESXi4.menu

MENU TITLE Template ESXi4

DEFAULT default
TIMEOUT 1
LABEL default
  MENU LABEL default
  KERNEL vmlinuz.esx4.ESXi4
  APPEND ks=http://10.0.0.11/kickstart/ESXi4/default.cfg initrd=initrd.esx4.ESXi4 mem=512M

To:
MENU TITLE Template ESXi4

DEFAULT default
TIMEOUT 1
LABEL default
  MENU LABEL default
  KERNEL ESXi4/mboot.c32
  APPEND ESXi4/vmkboot.gz --- ESXi4/vmkernel.gz --- ESXi4/sys.vgz --- ESXi4/cim.vgz --- ESXi4/ienviron.tgz --- ESXi4/image.tgz --- ESXi4/install.tgz

After all that it worked perfect! I'll update here with progress as I work on making a template for it.
HaTaX

Postby billporte » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Hello, first Very good and simple product.

I've tried it with Clonezilla Gparted W2K3 XP without any major problem only some dll for windows to copy in extra dir.

But after that I change My network settings on UDA : Ip Netmask Gateway ... and then the automatic follow page didn't worked, ifconfig give me the old ip ... So I need to make a reboot using the old ip before it works on the new ip.

And after My new Ip, ... were right but no boot under clonezilla and gparted, they keep in their menu (/var/public/tftproot/pxelinux.cfg/templates/*.menu) the old ip address.

Sorry for my poor english.
I hope to help just a little
billporte

PreviousNext

Return to UDA 2.0