New OS and other bugs

Share your thoughts on the UDA 2.0

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

New OS and other bugs

Postby cwoelkers » Wed May 27, 2009 3:20 am

Just downloaded and started running the new beta. Looks great so far. I noticed however that most of the OS templates are gone. One in particular, which I use a lot, is BartPE. I though about just making a new template for it by selecting manual config. However it looks like it is designed only for Linux type OS's as it only shows INITRD and Kernel fields. How could I make that work for Window type OS's, of which BartPE is based.
I also tried to do a new WinXP OS using a slipstreamed ISO with SP3. It fails with a "cannot start binl service." I go to the services page and try to start in manually, no go with a similar error: "Error: Could not start service binl (256)"
I than try an Ubuntu flavor, specifically Kubuntu 8.04. This time the error is as such: "Could not copy vmlinuz /var/public/www/ubuntu/kubuntu8/install/netboot/ubuntu-installer/i386/linux to /var/public/tftproot/vmlinuz.ubuntu.kubuntu8" This one might be a version problem though.

At this point in time I thought, its getting late, time for bed. So I go to shut the system down through the menu. No go here either: "sh: shutdown: command not found" is the error message this time. I dug through the scripts and found where the command is issued and tried the command directly from the cgi-bin directly. No prob there. Oh yea, the same happened with the reboot command through the menu.

One last thing, the online menu system is really slick, both in looks and use, and I am glad that a pre-use configuration wizard is available now. It will definitely make my life easier.
cwoelkers

Re: New OS and other bugs

Postby the_dude » Wed May 27, 2009 9:35 am

Good points you make:

* BartPE is not in there (yet). It's still on my TODO list. I've been trying to get WinPE2.0 working, but I guess before we get that worked out its better to have BartPE there until were done.

* The manual configuration is for anything you like. The kernel thing can be anything you like. e.g. memdisk and you could put your boot floppy image in the initrd field. BartPE can be configured through this, but with a lot of manual fiddling. (the manual configuration just keeps your personal additions to UDA in place, so that when you have added something it will not get thrown out by regenerating the PXE boot menu)

* Binl service. Don't know what goes wrong. Is there anything in the logfile? What happens when you start the binl service from the command line?
To be honest it's been some time since I touched the windows code, so maybe something broke. I'll try my windows XP professional (no sp's) and see if that goes wrong.

* The shutdown/reboot command goes well from the commandline, but not from the script. You're right. I'll fix that. when accessed from the web-interface the path variable does not have the directory with shutdown in it.

* Kubuntu 8: Can you see if the files are on the disk (Ubuntu has a generic desktop edition where PXE files are not included) I use the server edition or the alternate CD's, where those files are included. (Haven't tested with Kubuntu8 though, I'll try that to make sure)
the_dude

Postby cwoelkers » Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Good news about BartPE making it into the list eventually. I will try to do a workaround anyways just to see if I can.

As for binl, here is the error from the command line:
Code: Select all
Starting binlserver: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/public/bin/binlsrv2.py", line 838, in ?
    devlist=load(open(cachefile))
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/public/tftproot/windows5/BartPE_extra/devlist.cache'

It seems that this happened after my aborted attempt to stuff BartPE into the system as a Windows XP disc.

For kubuntu the file, and the install/netboot directory for that matter, are not on the standard desktop image that I have. I will take a look at the alternative image, and the DVD, to see if it is available there.
cwoelkers

Postby the_dude » Thu May 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Bartpe: I've started porting the BartPE support from the UDA 1.4 to the 2.0 code. I currently have the OS import working and I'm now finishing up on the templates.

Binl: I've added a check to see if the binl database for that flavor (devlist.cache) actually exists

ShutDown: Could reproduce that problem, added the entire path in the code, now it works
the_dude

Postby brookes » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi,

I am trying to load some Linux images on the server and when creating the operating system I am getting an error "copying vmlinuz ...." I have tried severl flavours including Fedora F10 Live CD, LinuxMint, Ubuntu 9.04. Any tips or hints?

Stephan.
brookes

Postby brookes » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:12 pm

Hi,

I also have an issue where the "upload" feature does not copy large files e.g. the 9.04 DVD version of Ubuntu (4.2GB) is recognised as only 250MB and dosent copy. When the copy is finished an error is displayed "Connection with server reset"

Finally, I am unable to connect to the server using "Son of Fugu" which is the MAC equivilent of WINSCP. It installs the certificate and then fails with "subsystem request failed".

Any help would be great.

Stephan.
brookes

Postby the_dude » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:48 am

Brookes,

About Linux images:
* Fedora Live CD is not supported, Full installation DVD should work properly
* Linux Mint, is not supported
* Ubuntu 9.04 should work but you'll need the alternative install CD (that has got the PXE boot kernel on it) the default desktop CD does not.

About uploading
* I'll test the uploads of large files later. Last time I checked I tried a 700 Mb CD and that worked. 250Mb is maybe the size of the local filesystem. Are you sure that the filesystem is not full?
* Can you try to do the folowing from the commandline on your MAC (I use this on a Mac everyday)
Start the Terminal application and use scp (command line version of secure copy)
Code: Select all
scp /Users/Brookes/ubuntu.iso root@10.0.0.104:/local

Of course you change the filename and the IP address according to your needs. I've never worked with Son of Fugu, but I'll give it a try if the commandline does not work.
the_dude

Postby Gunsrude » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:13 am

First off, Thank you for an awesome OS.

The only thing that i really need to asked to be fixed is the BartPE option. It seems the web portal only allows you to select the same ISO when
selecting the BartPE ISO and the Server 2003 ISO? I'm sure i could get the Startrom.n12 integrated into the PE but I was hoping to avoid doing that becuase
the last time i did that was long enough that i don't remember how i did it. If I'm doing something wrong please just let me know.

Just in case:
I have an ESXi server running UDA2.0 and a normal VM Workstation also running 2.0 on a different subnet for testing the setups.

Also as a side note I don't know much about the the different pxelinux menus but I have been experimenting with the vesamenu.c32 and setting a background image etc.
I just like flash, but i thought it might be really cool to see that as an option someday.
Gunsrude

Postby diederikm » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi,

It all look so simple in the manual i found at rtfm
http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/docs/vmwdocs/uda20-beta.pdf

I mounted an esx4 iso to the machine that is running uda2build5 ... when i add a new os i get the error.

"Could not copy vmlinuz /var/public/www/"

On paper and video this product looks very cool... but to fault find... this forum is unsearchable ... many people have this copy error but i could not find a sollution... or did not understand what the sollution is that they are describing.

Is there a list or sticky in the forum how to solve these startup troubles ?

Best Regards,

Diederik
diederikm

Postby mwozny » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:59 am

I have the same issue with ESXi 3.5 update 5. "could not copy vmlinuz" error.

Is there any solution?

Could not copy vmlinuz /var/public/www/esx3/ESXi35U5/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz to /var/public/tftproot/vmlinuz.esx3.ESXi35U5

Edit : Got my answer from the_dude : ESXi 3.5 not supported in UDA 2.0 build 12.
Edit 2 : Now ESXi 3.5 installation is supported in build 13!
mwozny

Postby PanxOS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Hello
A Questions, uda 2.0 will support have for windows 7 and windows 2008 r2? And is it possible to add DRBL (with multicast) to UDA???

This it is my Questions ... from already thank you very much.
atte
Francisco aravena
PanxOS

Hang on PXE Boot

Postby maammann » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi,

have the following problem:

-UDA2.0build13:
Created template for ESX 4.0 Update 1

When booting to PXE, template selection works fine, but in subtemplate screen i cannot confirm the correspondent subtemplate. Screen stays on selection when pressing enter...

Tested with:
-UDA running on ESX3.5 / Workstation7
-HP DL380G5 / Workstation7-VM as ESX Hosts

any sugestions?
maammann

Postby PanxOS » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Hello¡

Uda in 2.0_14 version is running very slow and unresponsive I provide both in Vmware server WS and also migrate to KVM, with the same results, it takes a lot of the web interface to respond...
PanxOS

Postby sthoppay » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Hi,

Great Job with UDA 2. It looks better than UDA 1.4.

I'm able to get the Windows PE working with UDA 1.4, copied all the required files to UDA 2 build 14 VM.

When trying to create a new manual template & providing kernel as /WinPE/pxeboot.0, I'm getting access denied error on Line 25, char 7 on uda2.pl

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
sthoppay

Postby Berry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:41 pm

This rocks!

The only thing is that i would not boot the CentOS 5.3 (WinXP works fine so the concept works at my place).
Berry

Next

Return to UDA 2.0