UDA Build Upgrade?

Share your thoughts on the UDA 2.0

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

UDA Build Upgrade?

Postby pcvr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a way to upgrade my current UDA appliances (we run several UDAs in different datacenters) from build 5 to the most current build, without having to completely set it up again. Thus I want to perform an in-place upgrade without losing the contents of my local datastore, OS configurations, templates and subtemplates, etc. In the menu (System -> Actions) an Upgrade button exists, but I have no .tgz file to upload?

Patrick van Rantwijk
CDG Europe B.V.
pcvr

Re: UDA Build Upgrade?

Postby jjhays » Sat May 29, 2010 4:20 am

Any response on this? I would like to upgrade from Build 9 to Build 14 as well without having to reconfigure from scratch.

Thanks

John
jjhays

Postby johnson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:27 pm

With the release of vSphere5 today it my pleasure to announce that Carl Thijssen has once again come up trumps. He’s worked on a upgrade package to the UDA 2.0 that support ESX5i. It shouldn’t take long to download the patch as Carl was able to add ESX5i with just 225KB with of changes to the core build…

At some stage I think Carl might make a new build of the UDA which includes this patch for new users – but remember ESXi is only ONE of Carl’s supported OSes, so for him the decision to create a new build (a UDA 3.0) is based on much bigger factors than just one vendor alone….

To be honest I’ve not done much work with deploying ESXi to disk with PXE. But it was a pleasant surprise to find that Carl’s upgrade package worked right away without a problem. Of course I had to make some changes to my old kickstart “Service Console” templates – because not everything the ESX “Classic” supported, is achieved in the same way…. I guess the real question facing early adopters of ESXi is how they are going to deploy the new edition of ESX. There’s plethora of choices:

* Don’t use UDA, but use VMware’s new “Auto Deploy” feature which allows for a stateless/diskless PXE boot of the VMKernel itself. Great. But auto deploy is an Enterprize+ feature, and is recommended to be used with Host Profiles (another Enterprize+ feature)
* Use something like the UDA or EDA to get the software on a disk… and then:

* Do the “post-configuration” phase with the UDA template/sub-template feature OR
* Use PowerCLI to configure the host.
johnson

Postby NerdFrenzy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:25 pm

johnson wrote:With the release of vSphere5 today it my pleasure to announce that Carl Thijssen has once again come up trumps. He’s worked on a upgrade package to the UDA 2.0 that support ESX5i. It shouldn’t take long to download the patch as Carl was able to add ESX5i with just 225KB with of changes to the core build…

At some stage I think Carl might make a new build of the UDA which includes this patch for new users – but remember ESXi is only ONE of Carl’s supported OSes, so for him the decision to create a new build (a UDA 3.0) is based on much bigger factors than just one vendor alone….

To be honest I’ve not done much work with deploying ESXi to disk with PXE. But it was a pleasant surprise to find that Carl’s upgrade package worked right away without a problem. Of course I had to make some changes to my old kickstart “Service Console” templates – because not everything the ESX “Classic” supported, is achieved in the same way…. I guess the real question facing early adopters of ESXi is how they are going to deploy the new edition of ESX. There’s plethora of choices:

* Don’t use UDA, but use VMware’s new “Auto Deploy” feature which allows for a stateless/diskless PXE boot of the VMKernel itself. Great. But auto deploy is an Enterprize+ feature, and is recommended to be used with Host Profiles (another Enterprize+ feature)
* Use something like the UDA or EDA to get the software on a disk… and then:

* Do the “post-configuration” phase with the UDA template/sub-template feature OR
* Use PowerCLI to configure the host.

So where do we get the patch for ESXi5 from. I can't see it anywhere in the download area

I found it it at the following link:

http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/2011/08/25/uda ... i-support/
NerdFrenzy

Return to UDA 2.0