S.O.S! Help!

Share your thoughts on the UDA 2.0

Moderators: the_dude, Posters

Help help help Please.

Postby kojam » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:13 am

Howdy all.
Absolute newbie beginner here.
Struggled through my finally getting this up and running in Virtualbox.
Can ping the IP of the Host computer that this vm is running on, Host machine can ping th uda2 vm IP, the Host machine can access the uda2 vm web interface no problem, I've created an XP iso file to deploy to my netbook, I've placed it on a cd that resides on the Host machine, I've placed a copy into a folder on the desktop of the host machine (forgot to mention Host is XP Pro SP3), i've turned off dhcp on my router, turned on the dhcp server on the uda2 vm, set up the range of IP's for the server to assign to devices.....I've restarted the dhcp server several times to make sure it's running.
I have no idea how to setup the various settings in the web interface. I cannot find a concise guide to help me quickly set it up so that the iso is able to deploy, AND I have no idea why my client cannot seem to talk uda2 to get an IP from dhcp. I don't know:

a) the client can connect to the uda vm, but cannot get an IP?

OR

b) the client doesn't even connect to uda2 vm at all?

Can you please spoon feed this Big Baby and tell him how to get this working?
How can I get this to function as a proper PXE so I can install my XP.iso to devices?
kojam

S.O.S! Help!

Postby kojam » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Another reason why Apple sucks!
Wrote a very detailed description of my problem from my iPod, clicked on submit, and it's all gone! :x
Here I go again...

Struggled to install UDA2.0 in a virtualbox on my XP host laptop. Here's where I now stand:

- disabled dhcp on router
- made sure dhcp service starts in uda virtualbox running on XP host laptop
- made sure PXE service starts in uda virtualbox
- uda can sucessfully ping router, XP host IP
- XP host can access uda web interface
- have an XP install cd, have also created an iso of XP file to use with the PXE to network install on my netbook
- have placed the iso into a shared folder on XP desktop, have allow full permission rights to folder

I have tried to get my netbook to connect to uda so that i can install XP but it fails.
I'm not sure how to set up uda to act as a PXE server.
I thought maybe the netbook was the problem but I have installed CCBOOT to try to use it as a PXE server (not even sure if it can) and it clearly shows that the netbook successfully connects to CCBOOT's dhcp server and successfully receives an IP from CCBOOT (too bad setting it up as a PXE server seems like much more effort than uda).

Can anyone please help?
How do I configure uda to serve up my iso to my netbook?

Thanks!
kojam

Re: Help help help Please.

Postby tgp1994 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:19 pm

How is the netbook connected? Via wireless? I'm not sure if you can PXE boot over a wireless connection (let alone if it would even be stable for such an activity), and I would therefor make sure that the netbook is connected via ethernet.

Try setting the virtual NIC to be a bridged adapter if it's not already (I'm running UDA from virtualbox, which by default, sets NICs to a NAT sort of mode). I'm not too familiar with the differences between NAT and bridged modes, although I'm fairly certain that in bridged mode, your VM will be much more accessible on the LAN to devices looking for DHCP addresses.

If the above either did not apply or does not work, try disabling any firewall(s) on your host machine. That actually may be the most likely culprit, as your firewall wouldn't have any reason to accept dhcp requests (only to send them).

Out of curiosity, from what were you pinging the host? Was it an OS preinstalled on the netbook, or the UDA VM? It may be worth it to see if you can ping the VM from your netbook, if it has an os preinstalled.

EDIT: Also, here is an excellent getting started guide for UDA that has helped me out of tight spots several times.
tgp1994

Re: S.O.S! Help!

Postby tgp1994 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:28 pm

kojam wrote:Another reason why Apple sucks!
Wrote a very detailed description of my problem from my iPod, clicked on submit, and it's all gone! :x

Must have been a difficult task, typing all of that out on an iPod.

kojam wrote:Here I go again...

Struggled to install UDA2.0 in a virtualbox on my XP host laptop. Here's where I now stand:

- disabled dhcp on router
- made sure dhcp service starts in uda virtualbox running on XP host laptop
- made sure PXE service starts in uda virtualbox
- uda can sucessfully ping router, XP host IP
- XP host can access uda web interface
- have an XP install cd, have also created an iso of XP file to use with the PXE to network install on my netbook
- have placed the iso into a shared folder on XP desktop, have allow full permission rights to folder

I have tried to get my netbook to connect to uda so that i can install XP but it fails.
I'm not sure how to set up uda to act as a PXE server.
I thought maybe the netbook was the problem but I have installed CCBOOT to try to use it as a PXE server (not even sure if it can) and it clearly shows that the netbook successfully connects to CCBOOT's dhcp server and successfully receives an IP from CCBOOT (too bad setting it up as a PXE server seems like much more effort than uda).

Can anyone please help?
How do I configure uda to serve up my iso to my netbook?

Thanks!

Can you renew the ip address on your host machine successfully, once the router's dhcp server is down and UDA's is up? That will give you some kind of indication if other devices can get an address from UDA's DHCP server.

Can you be more specific about your netbook failing to connect? At what stage in the PXE process does it fail? Can the PXE rom get an IP address and boot from the server at least? What gets printed to the screen/what does it say?

Here is a good guide for getting started with UDA.
tgp1994

Return to UDA 2.0